November 13, 2008

Pierre Avezard, le Manège/the Merry-go-round



pictures courtesy of Jessica Straus

The Manège is an installation of 10 x 25 m (33 x 82 ft) grouped around a carousel, constructed by Pierre Avezard (1909-1992).

The two pictures give some idea of what this wonderful installation is about, but to fully appreciate it, one should see it in action, so take a look at the videos in the documentation..



Life and work

Born prematurely, Pierre Avezard was deaf, he could not see very well and he was small in stature. Because of his handicaps already as a youngster he was rather isolated. He only had two years of primary education and had to earn his living as a cowherd.

A gentle person, nicknamed Petit Pierre, he lived in a small house on the premises of the farm in Fay-aux-Loges where he had his job. On an adjacent plot of land near his house in 1937 he constructed a wooden Eiffel tower of 23 m (75.4 ft) high.

Petit Pierre had a gift to make creative and technical constructions from all kind of scrap materials and he liked to cut tin blades into impersonations of people, animals, cars, bikes and so on.This was how he began constructing a merry-go-round, combining all devices he created out of scrap metal, into a machinery, that could turn around and had all kinds of moving features. He has been working on this project from 1937 untill 1957.

Inittially activated by tepping on pedals, the installation later on could be put into action by electric motors. The manège is showered with moving and rotating gadgets, unexpected sounds and water projections, which often have a humoristic effect, while the total display brings about admiration, joy and emotion.

First opened for the public in 1955, from 1957 on the manège would be in full swing on sunday afternoons in the summer months.The shows attracted a lot of spectators, not only local families on their sunday afternoon walk, but also visitors from further afield, such as Paris.

Saved for the future by 
re-installing the Manège at La Fabuloserie ¹

In the early 1980's Avezard, who was in his seventies, gradually encountered more diffculties to continue the sunday shows. His health detoriated, he got a stroke and had to be hospitalized for some time. Also, the planned construction of a new freeway threatened the survival of the installation.

On sunday august 25, 1985, the Manège had it's last show in Fay-aux-Loges.

Avezard moved to a home for the elderly in Jargeau, some seven kilometers to the south. He passed away in 1992.

The installation, if left without supervision, would have been vandalized and demolished. But a real miracle happened. In agreement with Pierre Avezard, a group of friends of the Manège, led by Alain and Caroline Bourbonnais, dismantled the machinery and reinstalled it at the premises of La Fabuloserie.

On august 26, 1989, the Manège was inaugurated on its new location. Since it is one of the showpieces of this museum of art hors les normes in France.

Documentation
Websites
* Website of the la Fabuloserie museum
* Article on SPACES website (2012) with portraits of Avezard
Video's
* Video, with scenes of Pierre Avezard and the Manège on it's original location (Youtube, 6' 59", uploaded june 2011, from the short film Petit Pierre {1979}, made by french filmmaker Emmanuel Clot)


* Video (6.03 min, Youtube, jan 2010) produced by the Moscow Museum of Outsider Art, showing the Manège in full operation.


* Another video (5'43), this one by Hervé Suhubiette (Daily Motion), wonderful details


* Video by Marc Rohner, Artprems (Daily Motion, sept. 2012, 16'41"), presentation of the installation after the OpUS group in september 2012 had repaired some long time stagnant parts, introductions in french, scenes of the Manège in operation from 8'20" on.

 

Books published by La Fabuloserie

* Michel Piquemal and Christophe Merlin (photos), Le Manège de petit Pîerre, Paris (Albin Michel Jeunesse), 2005 (published in connection with  la Fabuloserie)
* Caroline Bourbonnais, Laurent Danchin, Leon Avezard, Le Manège de Petit Pierre, Dicy (Fabuloserie), 1995 (Re-edited in 2007 by Albin Michel as Le fabuleux manège de Petit Pierre)

note:
¹ The Fabuloserie is a (partly open air) museum in Dicy (France, Bourgogne area), opened in 1983, which exposes all kinds of outsider art creations, as collected by Alain Bourbonnais (1925-1988)
More about the Fabuloserie on the page about museums.

first published nov 2008, revised feb 2010, jul 2011, dec 2012, nov 2013

Pierre Avezard
le Manège
(originally) 45450 Fay-aux-Loges
(nowadays in) la Fabuloserie
89120 Dicy France
la Fabuloserie is open from Eastern till the end of august

guided tours only

No comments:

Post a Comment