December 22, 2008

Theo Wiesen, Totem-like wooden structures

picture collection l´Aracine, from their website

Born in the rather small community of Welchenhausen in the Eifel area (Germany), Theo Wiesen (1906-1999) at a young age lost his parents. With the remaining members of the family he moved to Grüfflingen, a community in the german speaking part of Belgium, where he once an adult worked as a carpenter and from 1939 on exploited a saw-mill.

Once retired, in the 1960's, he began making paintings and carving wood.

Wiesen has become known for his totem-like depictions of persons and animals, creations he displayed on the premises of the house were he lived.

Some of these creations were displayed amidst surrounding trees, as in the pictures below, other wooden structures were joined together, forming a fence of about 12 meters.

pictures from a weblog on, without acknowledgement,
probably from the collection of the Lille Art Museum

Theo Wiesen's totem-like structures no longer can be seen in situ.  Most (smaller) works have been absorbed into the french Collection l´Aracine, when Wiesen could no longer take care of  them,

In its turn, the Aracine collection has been donated to the LaM, the Lille Art Museum, located in Villeneuve d'Ascq, France. 

Wiesen's creations as exhibited in the LaM
picture courtesy of Richard Bennaars

A selection of Theo Wiesen's creations has been included in the museum's permanent exposition, housed in a new annex to the museum, opened late 2010 (The museum's collection includes some seventy works by Wiesen).

The authorities of Welchenhausen paid tribute to Wiesen by renaming the central square of the community as Theodor-Wiesen-Platz.

* Website l'Aracine

first published dec 2008, revised apr 2014, febr 2015

Theo Wiesen
Wooden structures
(formerly) Grüfflingen BE
site has disappeared, but wooden structures were saved
and are currently in the  Lille art Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment