this picture and the next one courtesy of the
Dating back from 893, the Confrécourt farm, located near Soissons, in the area just north of the Aisne river, France, was the theatre of violent warfare between french and german troops in september 1914.
Near the farm the frontline between the armies came to stay and the troops for years had to fight a war from the trenches.
In the neighbourhood of the farm, still in ruins today, there are quarries, that during the war would serve as a depository, a hospital, a place for soldiers to rest, for better or worse it was a habitat for the soldiers.
The Confrécourt cave had a chapel, decorated and sculptured by soldiers, named la chapelle du père Doncoeur
the chapel of father Doncoeur
picture courtesy of the website rue des lumieres
The caves, like other memorabilia from the war in the region, are being cared for by a group of volunteers, the Association Soissonais 14-18. One of there aims is to make better known and to protect the artworks soldiers made during the war.
In 2008 this association published a book, Le Graffiti des tranchées, devoted to the many pictural and sculptural creations in and around the trenches.
The Confrécourt caves can be visited on appointment with Soissonais 14-18 (from march-september).
* website of the Association Soissonais 14-18 (in french)
* article in Wikipedia (in french)
* an academic study of trench art: Nicholas J. Saunders, Trench art: materialities and memories of war, Oxford (Berg), 2003 .
Carrieres de Confrécourt
near Soissons, France